Tuesday, January 25, 2011

For You, A Thousand Times Over

Why hello again! I hope the rest of your day went well. Mine was pretty good I'd say. I finished school, went to swim practice, and then went to Starbucks with my mom, my friend Courtney, and her mom. We had a really good time and hopefully we'll get to do it again. So, where to start? First off, today in math we got off topic and I learned a few interesting facts, and don't worry, they're not math related. I can't remember all of them but one I remember is that if a person was talking on a radio frequency to someone on the other side of the world, that person would hear what they said faster than someone sitting on the other side of the room because radio waves travel at the speed of light. Crazy, right? Now don't take that word for word... it's been a long day and I might have messed it up a little bit.

Right now the State of the Union address is on. I'm sorry, but right now I just want to watch normal t.v. In my opinion, it's pointless. At the moment they're comparing how it's like a high school dance because everyone sits with their "dates." They're talking about how people are sitting with people they wouldn't have expected. Really? I'm missing the regular shows for this? President Obama just walked into the building and I think he's shook, shaken, I'm not sure what the right word it, 100 hands. It's kind of funny, the audience is still clapping for him and it's been at least 3 minutes. Ah, he's finally arrived to the front of the room and now... let the fun begin. Now he will give a long speech with many applause breaks about the things he plans on doing. Most likely? He will do half of them. As with any president, nothing presonal Mr. Obama.

The Kite Runner By: Khaled Hosseini Pages: 1-80
Oh? You wanted more commentary on the address? Sorry, for once homework is more important than T.V. Okay so The Kite Runner. It's a great book. My friend and teammate Chelsea actually just texted me asking to borrow it. Maybe my blog is useful after all? It was funny because I didn't even know she had a blog or had been reading mine. I was excited to know that she was,though. So the beginning of the book starts with background information on the boys and some memories. It's 2001. A man named Rahim Khan calls Amir from Pakistan asking to meet. He is Amir's father's good friend. He is almost like another father to him and Amir is actually much closer to Rahim Khan than his Baba, or father. Then the background info starts: Amir's mother died while giving birth to him. He has grown up a lavish and wealthy lifestyle thanks to his father. He even has Hazara's, or servants. The servants are a father and son, Ali and Hassan. Hassan is just younger than Amir and they are like brothers. They grew up spending their days playing and creating mischief.... until the winter of 1975. You see, Hassan's mother left him and his father when he was only 6 weeks old. Ali is a Hazara, which from my understanding isn't a servant, that's just what most Hazara's are. His wife, Sanaubar, was a "beautiful but notoriously unscrupulous woman who lived up to her dishonorable reputation." She ran away to be a dancer just after she'd given birth. Ali and Hassan are Shi'a and Amir and Baba are Sunni. That alone creates cultural differences. Not to mention the fact that a servant will always be thought of less, no matter how close they may be. But anyways, Amir and Hassan fed from the same breast, played in the same yard, and Hassan and Ali actually live in a small mud hut in the corner of Amir and Baba's mansion. At the end of the second chapter, this passage appears. I didn't realize how significant it was, until later in the book:

Hassan and I fed from the same breast. We took our first steps on the same lawn in the same yard. And, under the same roof, we spoke our first words.

Mine was Baba.

His was Amir. My name.

Looking back on it now, I think the foundation for what happened in the winter of 1975-and all that followed-was already laid in those first words.


The question you are all asking yourself: What happened in the winter of 1975?! I'm getting there, just hold on. I'm sorry Mr. Hill, but I'm about to skip a lot of summarizing just because I want to get to the best part. Readers, the whole book is interesting so far, it all leads up to the best part, frankly, I just can't remember all the little details and what happens first. So, kite flying is very popular there. Huge tournaments are actually held for them. Boys soak the string of the kite in ground glass and the object of these tournaments is to cut the string of the other kites using skilled maneuvers. Obviously, you want your kite to be the last one in the air. Once the kite is cut, it begins to fall from the sky and kite runners, thus the name of the book, run after it to catch it. Hassan is a very talented kite runner and always has a sense of where it will fall even before it floats that way. The book tells that usually neighborhoods held their own competitions, but this year was going to be the biggest competition in 25 years. Like I said before, Amir and Baba don't have the best relationship. Amir feels like Baba blames him for his wife's death and if he killed her he could at least be something like his dad. But he's not, he's the complete opposite. Amir's plan is to win the competition and have Hassan run for the last kite to get cut down other than his. When he returns home with the winning kite in his hand, his father will have to be proud of him. Long story short... after hours of competition, bloody hands, and tired legs, Amir tricks the last kite and cuts it down, winning the competition. And Hassan knows what to do. He takes off running for the kite. An hour or so later, when Hassan hasn't returned, Amir goes out to look for him. After asking many people if they had seen him, he finally wanders down an alley where he hears talking. He sees the three neighborhood bullies cornering Hassan. The demand that he gives them the kite. It's tournament etiquette that once the runner has touched the kite, none of the other runners trying to get it can take it from him, it's his. So clearly, they are breaking the rules. When they ask for it, Hassan replies, " Amir agha won the tournament and I ran this kite for him. I ran it fairly. This is his kite." Assef, the pack leader, says back,

A loyal Hazara. Loyal as a dog... but before you sacrifice yourself for
him, think about this: Would he do the same for you? Have you ever wondered why
he never includes you in games when he has guests? Why he only plays with you
when no one else is around? I'll tell you why, Hazara. Because to him, you're
nothing but an ugly pet. Something he can play with when he's bored, something
he can kick when he's angry. Don't ever fool yourself and think you're something
more.


Hassan says, " Amir agha and I are friends." I can hear him saying it, too. Scared, cornered, and unsure about what hes saying. Timid, of course. But I think he knows Assef is right. Nonetheless, Hassan refuses to hand over the kite. The consequence:

Assef knelt behind Hassan, put his hands on Hassan's hips and lifted his bare buttocks. He kept one hand on Hassan's back and undid his own belt buckle with his free hand. He unzipped his jeans. Dropped his underwear. He positioned himself behind Hassan. Hassan didn't struggle. Didn't even whimper. He moved his head slightly and I caught a glimpse of his face. Saw the resignation in it. It was a look I had seen before. It was the look the lamb.


The sad thing? Amir was there, and didn't even stop it. Hassan waddles home where Amir is waiting for his. He sees the blood dripping from his inner legs, and pretends to not notice. After that, Hassan rarely leaves the hut. And Amir is glad. He can't face what he did. They eventually stop talking and barely even see each other. Oh yeah, Amir's plan works, and his father is so proud and they grow very close for a few months until their differences take control again.

I've read past this, but I feel like I've been writing way too much for one post so I think I'll save some for tomorrow. I hope you all read this book. I've actually gotten teary-eyed while reading it. And all I hear in my head is, "For you, a thousand times over." Hassan's loyalty is crazy. I honestly don't know if I could do that for anyone, as sad as that is. It's crazy to even think a boy his own age would do such a thing! It's sad to think those things go on. I really am blessed to live the life I do. Enjoy your night, and see you tomorrow! And goodnight, Chelsea :)

Current: 192
Total: 310

No comments:

Post a Comment