Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hello. Bonjour. Hola. Jambo. Bon Giorno.

Hello, reader! Welcome to Waiting For Saturday. This blog, created as an assignment for my high school's etymology class, will encompass a variety of posts. My hope, time willing, is that I will be able to post a collection of different things each week, from my obsession of the day, to things I ponder on, or even just random tidbits of information I learned. As well as fulfill my assignments. To tell the truth, I have to admit my blog was inspired by my older sister, Maddison. She is now 25, living in Washington, D.C. Also, at one time, a Homestead student, then later Depauw University attendee, and now awaiting the news of her, fingers crossed, acceptance into Graduate School. Anyways, she also has a blog, named Waiting For Sunday. As you probably have realized, my blog's name is almost identical: one part joke, one part my lack of creativity to think of a better name. At first, when Waiting For Saturday came into my mind, I thought my sister would be upset, claiming it was too close to hers. But to my surprise, she supported the name with quite the bit of enthusiasm. Quoting her blog, Waiting For Sunday was, "Named for the day of the week set aside for reflection, prayer, quietness, recuperation and good company, Sunday is often the day I most anticipate." 


So, reason would say that I named my blog Waiting For Saturday because, as a teenager, eager to live life and explore all it offers, Saturday is the day I look forward to most. Although, it is more than likely occupied by a swim meet, a subject I'm sure will often be referred to, I do anticipate those rare Saturday's when I, of course after begging the parents, am allowed to go have fun with my friends. Of course, only until 11:30, being my curfew. And don't think this is flexible... beyond reason. Yes mom, I did just admit you are lenient to a certain point and I am so very grateful for that.  


So, last night, being one of these blessed nights, I went bowling with a few of my friends. Myself, my boyfriend, and two other couples all joined together at a local  bowling alley and had a great time showing off our skill, or lack there of. To my pleasant surprise, I turned out to be quite the bowler, scoring a total of 129. And no, that is not the total of my two games together. Truthfully, I scored 74 my first game. But hey, everyone needs to warm up, right? As my bf and I were sitting in his car in my driveway talking, I received a text from my mother, "It's 11:31- where r u?" Sigh. First of all, my mother can't text very well. I guarantee it took her a good 30 seconds to write that, with her texting lingo and all. I find it funny that just after a minute past my curfew she texts me. However, I am glad she gives me rules because I know I would have a rough future ahead of me living on my own if I didn't have guidelines now. I was home on time though, just ask my twin brother, Taylor, who I caught spying on us through his bedroom window. He claims he was just "getting a blanket", but last time I checked, the blankets aren't in the window sill. We had a good laugh about it, though. 


As I scan over this entry, I can't help but wonder what my teacher, Mr. Hill, is thinking. He probably is saying to himself, "When is this girl going to stop talking about her weekend and start covering the assignment?" I'm sorry, Mr. Hill. You probably wouldn't guess, as I am quiet in your class, but once I start talking, you might as well find a comfortable position and get ready to hear my life story. I think I get that from my Grandma. Over Christmas break, I asked her how she met my Grandpa, her husband, and her response was an over an hour story. I expected it to be a thirty minutes at most. But I can't complain, as we dried dishes and I listened to her story, I couldn't help think to myself how much I admire and love her. She's the most tender-hearted, loving lady in my life. There I go again, getting off topic. I'm supposed to be giving a summary of a book that I'm reading right now. I could do it, too. But I'm not sure where to start really. I have it opened in front of me. Page 82. I have to read 100 pages for the week. I'm quite proud of myself for actually reading so much already. Jack Gantos is making it easy though. Hole in my life is the title of the book that I'm reading. Instead of doing my summary, I think I'll give you the book's one line summary, and come back later to finish. "The author relates how, as a young adult, he became a drug user and smuggler, was arrested, did time in prison, and eventually got out and went to college, all the while hoping to become a writer." 


Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! I'll see you tomorrow. Eh, technically not see, but you know what I mean!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that shout out. I love that you're blogging too. Makes me proud. And, I am proud of your writing. You're not so bad, little Neech. I am looking forward to reading your blog everyday--I've added it to my Google Reader, so make sure you actually DO post.

    Love & miss you.
    -M (of Waiting for Sunday)

    ReplyDelete