Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Hump Day!

Well, it's the middle of the week and it's gone pretty fast. Today was just like any other day: morning practice, school, afternoon swim and dryland, dinner, and now homework. In my ecology class, when we have extra time our teacher googles things we ask her to. Today, a girl asked her to google the worlds smallest pig, or the teacup pig. That led to the world's smallest horse and the worlds largest dog. So, here are pictures of all three.

Sorry they're placed so randomly, I couldn't figure out how to get them any better. So, on the far left is the Massif. Yes, that is a full sized horse next to it plus two humans. Then in the middle is the pig, obviously. I can't get over how adorable these are! They would be such fun as a pet. And finally, the world's smallest horse. In my opinion, its kind of odd looking. But at the same time crazy!

How about some more of The Kite Runner now? I know I can't wait to tell you more.

The Kite Runner By: Khaled Hosseini Pages: 80-110

Alright, we left off with Amir and Hassan going through a rough period. After Hassan is raped, he separates himself from everyone, finishing his morning chores and then retreat back to his mud house. Over a week later, Hassan asks Amir to go on a walk. However, Amir turns him down because he was "tired." Hassan continued to encourage him to come with him, "It's a sunny day... might be fun to go for a walk." Again, Amir turns him down. Hassan questions if he has done something to Amir, "I don't know what I've done, Amir agha. I wish you'd tell me. I don't know why we don't play anymore." Amir: "You haven't done anything, Hassan. Just go." Hassan: "You can tell me, I'll stop doing it." Then, Amir goes off on him. It breaks my heart that Hassan continues to reach out to the boy who let him get raped. He still remains so faithful and loving toward his friend. Amir says, "I want you to stop harassing me. I want you to go away." Later in the spring that year, Amir even asks his father if he had ever considered getting new hazaras. Baba becomes angry telling him that he and Ali had grown up together, too, and he was family and would never leave.

A few days after that, Amir actually asks Hassan to go for a walk. He told him he wanted to read him a story. But once they got up on the hill, Amir picked up a overripe pomegranate and asked Hassan, " What would you do if I hit you with this?" Hassan stopped smiling, but didn't say anything. "What would you do?" Amir asked again. The color fell from his face. Then, Amir hurled the pomegranate at him striking him in the chest, which left a spray of red pulp on him. "Hit me back!" he yelled at Hassan, hoping for some retaliation to make himself feel better. "Get up! Hit me!" Then, Hassan did get up, but just stood there. Amir threw another at him, "Hit me back!... Hit me back, goddamn you!... Your're a coward! Nothing but a goddamn coward!" With that, Hassan picked up a fruit, walked toward Amir, opened it, then, crushed it on his own forehead, leaving drips of red to soak down his face like blood. "There," he said, " Are you satisfied? Do you feel better?" After, he turned and walked down the hill. Crying, Amir shouted after him, "What am I going to do with you, Hassan? What am I going to do with you?"

Amir's birthday is approaching, so Baba plans an extravagant party for him. Hundreds of people come, even though he knows half of them. Assef and the two other boys are there, too. Amir actually sees Hassan serving drinks to the boys, and that's hard for him to watch. So hard, that he realizes Ali and Hassan can't live there. He creates a plan: He takes part of his birthday money and an expensive watch Baba got him and planted in under Hassan's bed. He tells Baba that Hassan stole from him. Baba confronts Ali about it, and Ali says he will go talk with Hassan and then meet Baba and Amir in the study. Half an hour later, Ali and Hassan come to the study, puffy-eyed, and red faced, clear that they have been crying. Baba asks Hassan if he stole from Amir, he answers yes. It shocked Amir that he could lie for Amir without hesitation. But Amir realized, this was Hassan's final sacrifice. Hassan never lied, so if he said no, Baba would have known that Amir lied. Earlier in the book, Baba told Amir that the worst sin was theft, all other sins were types of theft. But Baba forgave him! Ali told him the news, though, "We're leaving, Agha sahib." Baba begged and begged them not to go, "I don't care about the money or the watch. I don't understand why you're doing this." Ali and Hassan had made up their mind, and asked Baba to drive them to the bus station. Baba began to cry, the first time Amir had ever seen him cry. Not only had he betrayed Hassan once again, he made his father's childhood friend and son leave.

I still can't get over Amir's self-centeredness. Hassan has always been there for him and made so many sacrifices and because he can't face his choices, he lies and betrays his friend for the last time. I love this book, it's so eye opening. Hassan is so loyal. I know I've said this is every post and I probably sound really repetitive, but once you read the book, you'll understand what I'm saying! I'm hoping later in the book Amir will be able to make good with his life, and make some serious changes.

Until the next post, I'll leave you with this challenge. Tomorrow, don't let every decision you make be about yourself. Think of someone else, and don't betray the people you love. Be a stand up character, and make sacrifices for someone else. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment