Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So, I've been trying to think of another way to greet you all other than saying "Hello, reader" or some variation of that, but frankly, I'm drawing a blank. Instead, I will not greet you, but it's implied. No hurt feelings, okay? To start off the blogging tonight I thought I would add a picture from my sister's blog. She is very crafty and made these mustache stirring sticks. I love this picture. Why? Because the idea of putting fake mustaches on is so childish and youthful, yet the picture looks as if it was taken fifty years ago. The brick adds just the right backdrop, in my opinion. So kudos, Maddy.

She is the girt that is closest to the top, with the glasses. Her boyfriend, Mac, is on the right. The other girl is her high school friend, and now roommate. And to be honest, I have no clue who the other guy is.

"Life's a train. Get on board." That line was in my book this week. I really liked the catchy-ness of it. So much so that I made it my facebook status, ha. Right now the book is moving a little slow. I still enjoy reading it, but I'm a little disappointed. The beginning was so good! I couldn't put it down. Now I can't wait to finish it, but so I can start my next book.

The Kite Runner By: Khaled Hosseini Pages 153-189

As I do every time, I'll remind you where we left off. Last time you read, Amir was interested in a girl named Soraya, but her father wasn't keen on the idea of him courting her. A lot has gone on since then. Baba became ill. At first they assumed it was just a cold, but when he started coughing up blood, they took him to the doctor. What they found was every son's worst fear for their father, cancer. Because he smoked, Baba had gotten lung cancer. And just as he did with the welfare money, he said no to Chemotherapy. He was able to keep up with his regular life for a while, he would even go to the flea markets still. Then, one day while selling knick-knacks, Baba collapsed, started convulsing, frothing at the mouth, and his bladder let loose. In the emergency room, Amir found out that the cancer had spread to the brain. The doctors highly recommend radiation, but Baba again said no. While in the hospital, the General, Khanum Taheri, and Soraya came to visit. Then next day, at their home, Amir asked Baba to go khastegari, which from the reading I gather to mean Baba's father goes to Soraya's father to ask for her hand in marriage, on behalf of Amir, of course. Baba went, and called Amir with the good news that the General had accepted and Soraya and Amir were to be married.

The next few pages describes the wedding, which was held very quickly after khastergari because of Baba's illness. A month after the wedding, Soraya's family and Amir and Baba all joined and played cards together. The night was full of fun and laughter. It was very late, so Soraya and Amir carried Baba to bed, because he had gotten too weak. Soraya reached for his pain medicine, but Baba replies, "Not tonight. There is no pain tonight." He never woke up.

The rest of the chapter talks about the funeral held with hundreds of people there speaking good things of Baba, Amir and Soraya's acceptance into San Jose State, Amir's publication of his first book With everything perfect in their lives, they decided to try to have a child, after four years of marriage. They tried for a year, and when things were looking well, they went to a doctor. Months of tests were run, everything checked out okay. Amir and Soraya even tried in vitro fertilization. Nothing seemed to work. The doctors, as a last resort, suggest adoption, but neither Amir and Soraya nor General Taheri and Khanum Taheri were fond of the idea. Khanum Taheri said, "maybe it wasn't meant to be." But Amir figures it karma for betraying Hassan and it, "meant not to be."

Like I said before, the book is still interesting, but just not as captivating. I'm waiting for it to pick up again, though. There's really not much to say about this section of the book. So, I think I'll get in bed really early tonight and catch up on some sleep. Its almost state, only two more days til Friday when I swim! Ah! I'm nervous and excited and ready to be done at the same time. Scared , too. But I know everything will work itself out. Faith in training. That's what my friend Hanna keeps telling me. I've worked hard, so I know I will do well!

To part, I leave you with the moving lyrics sung at Amir and Soraya's wedding.

Make morning into a key and throw it into the well, Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly. Let the morning sun forget to rise in the east, Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly.

1 comment: