Sunday, May 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, To Me!

Well, it's that time of year! My birthday. I'm 18 and I can't believe it. How can I already be 18, time really does go quickly. A few weeks ago, I found this poem while I was trying to fill out my poetry journal. And it's quite appropriate for today!


Birthday Lights

BY CALEF BROWN
Light bulbs on a birthday cake.
What a difference that would make!
     Plug it in and make a wish,
     then relax and flip a switch!
No more smoke
      or waxy mess
      to bother any birthday guests.
But Grampa says, “it’s not the same!
      Where’s the magic?
       Where’s the flame?
To get your wish without a doubt,
You need to blow some candles out!”

Cute, huh? It's true, though! What happened to the magic of birthdays?! Right now, I'm at a swim meet. It's sad... birthdays used to be anticipated so much and now I have to share such a big birthday with a swim meet. But what can you do? Anyways, I'm going to go swim, then drive all the way home and open up some presents! 

No comments:

Post a Comment