Thursday, March 24, 2011

For One More Day By: Mitch Albom page 36-50

So at this point Chick is back at his old house. He's looking around and sees left overs in the fridge and dishes in the sink and is really confused. Then, he hears his mother call his name. The next chapter is "Times I Did Not Stand Up for My Mother" and it tells the story of his 6 year old Halloween. His mother spend a long time making him a mummy costum and when it rained during trick-or-treating and fell apart he ended up telling her, "You ruined my life!" out of frustration. Then it flips back to real time and he finally sees his mother up close. She hugs him but he is aprehensive and has trouble deciding if it is a ghost or not. Once again, it changes into a chapter called, "Time My Mother Stood Up for Me" and tells a story about when Chick had to do a project over what causes an echo and when he asked his dad he responded, "I don't know, Chick." But his mother spend all night helping him make the perfect definition of what causes an echo and helped him practice it. Then it tells a story of Chick and his sister, Roberta. One day they decided it would be a good idea to carve their names into the kitchen table with steak knives. They only got as far as "CHAR" and "ROBER" until their mom got home, though. They tried to put an orange juice container over it but they were acting so suspicious that she figured it out. Of course, their mom was angered by this but later she laughed it off when Roberta says, "Should we finish, so at least we spell our names right?"

Man, if I ever did that I would be toast. My parents would probably make me buy a new kitchen table. But it shows the character of the mom and how even though she was frustrated, she still found the humor in the situation. It's sad that Chick got so easily mad at his mom about the Halloween custuom, even said she ruined his life. You know he didn't mean it, but I'm sure it still hurt her feelings. I know I do that a lot to my mom, but I don't mean it at all. I think sometimes its easiest to get mad at the people you love and are closest too, even though they should be the ones you treat the best. I guess life's ironic like that, though.

Anyways, I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment