Saturday, March 12, 2011

Homework. Homework. Homework.

Today I'm not going to be very chatty, straight to business. For some reason my teachers decided it would be a good idea to all give a ton of homework. I got so much that I'm actually starting my homework on Saturday! I usually do it Sunday afternoon, but not this weekend!

The Kite Runner By Khaled Hosseini Pages 344-357

Amir is once again in the hospital. They won't let him see Sohrab, who is in the E.R. Desperate, Amir grabs a spare bed sheet from the cart, asks a police officer which way is West, and prays. He can't remember all the words, since it's been 15 years, but he doesn't care. He wonders whos prayers will be heard tonight, his or an older lady sitting in a chair prayer in the same room. He promises Allah that he will do zakat and namaz and fast during Ramadan if Sohrab lives. Finally, after four hours, the doctor comes out and wakes Amir. He tells him the Sohrab cut himself deeply and lost a lot of blood, they had to transfuse several units of red cells, they revived him twice, and that they would have lost him if his heart weren't so yound and strong, but he is alive. At that, Amir kissed the doctor's hands and began to cry.

He was able to go visit Sohrab, but he was sleeping. Most of the time that Amir was by his side, he was sleeping. When he was awake, he hardly talked, just stared out of the window. He did speak a few times. Once when Amir asked him how he felt he said tired. Amir said the doctor told him the was to be expected. But Sohrab shook his head and said, "Tired of everything. I want my old life back. I want Father and Mother jan. I want Sasa. I want to play with Rahim Khan sahib in the garden. I want to live in our house again. I want my old life back. I wish you hadn't... I wish you had left me in the water." Amir asked for his forgiveness, to come to America with him. He promised he wouldn't let him go back to an orphanage. Sohrab didn't say anything, though. He just rolled over and fell asleep. But he never said no. So in August of 2001, they arrived in America where they met Soraya waiting for them at the airport.

My main question after reading this part in the book is how old is Sohrab. Attempts at suicide are sad no matter what. But in my opinion, it's a lot worse when the boy is younger. I think Sohrab is only 8 or so. I don't think I even knew what suicide was at that age, much less concidered it. I can't believe what he went through. And another bad thing, he will have the scares on his wrists for the rest of his life to be reminded of it. He's lost his parents, been physically abused, attempted suicide, and now he is in a unfirmiliar country with people he doesn't know. And he's so young. I just can't imagine going through what happens in this book!

Okay, that's one assignment done. Now onto my other 6 classes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment