Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday's Response

Alrighty, folks! Today's To-do list includes two things! First, I visited 1000 awesome things, a site that simply lists 1000 awesome things in this world. The first thing I got was number 265, the smell of really, really clean air. This hit home for me. Smell is one of my biggest senses. I always connect smells to memories. For example, the smell of a certain lotion to a vacation I had because that's the lotion I used while on it. I especially love the smell of summer: freshly cut grass, the flowers, the hamburgers on the grill. It's one of my favorite things in this world!

Second item: my favorite poem of the first quarter. I really, really enjoyed Jack Gilbert's "Once Upon a Time." For all of you who have never read it, here it is:

We were young incidentally, stumbling
into joy, he said. The sweetness of
our bodies was natural in the way
the sun came out of the Mediterranean
fresh every morning. We were accidentally
alive. A shape without a form.
We were a music composed of melody,
without chords, played only on
the white keys. We thought excitement
was love, that intensity was a marriage.
We meant no harm, but could see the women
only a little through the ardor and hurry.
We were innocent, he said, baffled when
they let us kiss their tender mouths.
Sometimes they kissed back, even volunteered.


I think the way the lines are really simple get to me. The end: "sometimes they kissed back, even volunteered." It's so simple, yet says so much. I can't even really say more than that. Simply, the simplicity of the poem allows me to make a connection to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment