Friday, March 18, 2011

For One More Day Summary

Well let's continue with my latest book summarizing! We left off on page 17...

For One More Day By: Mitch Albom Pages 18-36

The second part of the book starts with a chapter called "Chick's Mom." It talks about his relationship with his mom and how his dad told him, "You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy. But you can't be both." And from then on he longed for his fathers love and pushed his mother away, even though she was the one who always had his best intentions at heart. One the next page, Chick learns that his father has left and won't be returning. He is now a mama's boy. It then flashes back to real time and he is lying on the ground after jumping from the watertower. His mother has disappeared again and he decides he will walk to his house. It talks a little then about how his parents met, but this isn't really important. Then he goes into a memory of "Time My Mother Stood Up for Me." The first of many additions of these talks about how one time he was walking home from school and a dog jumped out and scared him and when he went home crying, Chick's mom drug him back there and started barking at the dog herself. She told him that he has to show the dog who's boss.

First off, I think it's sad that his father made him pick one parent over the other. It's almost as if they're in a competition when parents should be a team. And as I read father into the book I've realized this really tears him apart. He wants his father's approval and in the ends, makes a huge mistake to gain it. Ironically, he loses his approval too. Secondly, the way his mother took Chicks hand in hers and led him back to bark at the dog herself is eye opening. The way she doesn't care how she looks in order to help her son is really cool. It kind of makes me wonder what things my mom has done for me like that and I haven't even noticed. I guess it's just their instinct to help their children.

Anyways, I hope ya'll have a great rest of the weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment