Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Poor Sohrab...

I'm almost done with the book! I really enjoy this book, but I'm ready to move on to a new one! I think I'll finish it this weekend. But here's the rest of the last chapter I read:

The Kite Runner Pages 321-343

Amir and Sohrab were playing cards and talking about San Fransisco. They talked about the Golden Gate Bridge and the steep streets. Finally Amir asked him if he had given any more thought about moving to America with him. Sohrab confessed that is scared him. He was scared that Amir would get sick of him and send him back to an orphanage. Amir promised him that would never happen, and he would make sure he never went back to an orphanage... big mistake, remember this. Sohrab finally shook his head yes, he would go. Amir called Soraya to ask her. He explained everything, the whole story of Hassan: growing up together, betraying him, and now he having a chance to redeem himself. After lots of questions she agreed they didn't have a choice but to take Sohrab into their family. The next day, Amir and Sohrab went to the American embassy. Amir met with a man named Raymond Andrews. He questioned his reasoning for adoption Sohrab. And unexpectedly, told Amir that it was very unlikely that he would be able to adopt Sohrab. To adopt him he needed proof that his parents were dead, and there were no death certificates for Hassan and his Farazara. He suggested that he meet with an adoption lawyer but made it clear that his chances were very small. Amir was angered and walked out of his office. On his way out he mumbled to the secretary that they should get someone who has some manners. She replied, "Poor Ray. He's never been the same since his daughter died. Suicide."

Amir met with Omar Faisal a few days later. He had the same news for Amir that Raymond did. He gave a few more suggestions. One was that he put Sohrab back into an orphange and then file for and orphan petition. Amir decided this was his best chance. So, after Omar left he shared his news with Sohrab. He told Sohrab that Omar thought there was a way he could adopt him, but it would take a while. "I don't mind. I can wait," he said. But then Amir told him he would have to go back into an orphanage for a while. Sohrab cried and pleaded that he didn't do that,"Please! Please no! I'm scared of that place. They'll hurt me!" He fell asleep crying in Amirs arms. Then, in the middle of the night, Amir received a called from Soraya. She told him that she talked to someone in America that could get Sohrab a humanitarian visa for a year which would give them time to get the adoption figured out. Amir jumped out of bed to tell Sohrab, but he wasn't in his bed. So he went to the bathroom, where the light was on. When no one answered, he walked into the bathroom. "Suddenly I was on my knees, screaming. Screaming through my clenched teeth. Screaming until I thought my throat would rip and my chest explode. Later, they said I was still screaming when the ambulance arrived."

This was one of those "dun dun dunnnnn" moments. Of course I couldn't stop reading here, but I think I'll save the next chapter for tomorrow! Just to make you wait. Poor Sohrab, he's gone through so much. And was traumatized in the last orphanage he was in, I understand him not wanting to go back. If only Amir had caught him before he hurt himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment